The purpose of the site is to allow registered users to maintain a list
of contact details of people they know and trust in business. The people in the
list are called Connections. Users can invite anyone (whether a site
user or not) to become a connection.
This list of connections can then be used in a number of ways:
- A contact network is built up consisting of their direct
connections, the connections of each of their connections (termed second-degree
connections) and also the connections of second-degree connections
(termed third-degree connections). This can be used to gain an
introduction to someone a person wishes to know through a mutual, trusted
- It can then be used to find jobs, people and business opportunities
recommended by someone in one's contact network.
- Employers can list jobs and search for potential candidates.
- Job seekers can review the profile of hiring managers and discover
which of their existing contacts can introduce them.
- Users can post their own photos and view photos of others to aid in
- Users can now follow different companies and can get notification
about the new joining and offers available.
- Users can save (i.e. bookmark) jobs which they would like to apply
120 million users, about half of the members are in the United
States and 11 million are from Europe. With 3 million users, India is the
fastest-growing country as of 2010. The Netherlands has the highest adoption
rate per capita outside the US at 30%. UK has about 7 million users.
Linkedin has introduced advertising which may be targeted in much
the same way as Facebook adverts.
South Wales Social Media specialise in creating a profile for you and your business that will stand out on Linkedin, thereby ensuring that you will appear at the top of searches for the key words that you deem to be most important.